Aside from using microscopes, we can also gather information about biofilms using:
- Observations of features visible to the naked eye or camera
- Recording the effects of biofilms i.e. how they increase drag or particulate matter
- Mass spectrometry methods
- Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR).
- Monitoring the ability of bacteria to clump together in liquid culture, how they form pellicles (i.e. biofilms at the air-liquid interface) and how they stick to living and non-living surfaces.
This page is still under development. Can you help us complete it? Please contact us.